Monday, October 25, 2010

Lost

I recall the death rattle that came from the beast as its heart stopped, however its momentum carried it towards me. I remember feeling something slam into me and my body go flying through the air, stopping when it slammed into a tree. There was a sharp pain as I hit my head against that tree and then everything went black. I have no way of knowing how long I may have been lying there but at one point I think I woke up, I recall a heavy weight upon me, when I tried to sit up and look at it I felt a sharp pain in my neck and then I blacked out again.

The light filtering through the trees was warm on my face. My body ached and my head throbbed. I felt the ground shifting beneath me and a pressure on my ankles, something was dragging me somewhere. I tried to look to see what it was but I didn't have the strength to move my head. I felt so tired and weak, I must have lost quite a bit of blood. I feared that what had me was just taking me somewhere to eat me, but I had no way of fighting back. Instead of trying to escape I listened to the wind play with the leaves in the trees and smelt the sweet, rich earth going by beneath me. These sounds and sensations mixed with my exhaustion brought about sleep.

When I woke up again the air was thick and moist. It was dark and cold, I knew it had to be a cave or a burrow, a home of some sort of creature. There was no way to tell how much time had passed, the wrist computer I had been carrying was gone, either in the fight or along the ground as I was being dragged here or perhaps taken by the creature that lived here. I slowly and as quietly as I could moved to get up, the ceiling was high enough to stand. I looked about but could not see much but one direction seemed lighter than the rest and so it was this path that I took to try to find my way out. As I drew closer to the area that seemed lighter the air lost quite a bit of the moisture from it and I could see more of the things about me. It was a cave. As I turned a corner I was blinded by the light, but I kept moving forward, determined to escape and find my way back to the complex. As I drew near to the source of light I realized it wasn't quite what I was expecting. There was a small shaft leading up but it was not big enough to fit through, this is where the fresh air came from. The light was coming from some crystals in the wall, they had seemed to be shining like the sun when I had started but I realized that it had just been so dark that any source of light would have looked this way. I turned around to go back but to my horror there were more corridors I hadn't seen, I didn't know which way was back and this way had proved to be a dead end. I was going to need a plan to find my way out of this mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment