Friday, September 10, 2010

Advancing Communications

Today I had no new ideas, all I could think about as I stirred from my slumber was that I really wanted windows in my room so I could see something different. As I stepped out of the bathroom I had constructed I noticed something on the table, it was an implant extractor. I remember I had one in my tools before they were all taken away, but this one looked different. I picked it up and examined it, distracted at least for now from my desires. What purpose would there be in giving me an extractor? Then it dawned on me. Perhaps this was the answer to our communication problems. Obviously the entity had trouble understanding human expression, so it must not be men who kept me here, and it seemed to know technology very well, so if I gave it the implant that was in my head perhaps it would learn something more of how to communicate with me. I put the device to my head and prepared myself for the pain as I pulled the trigger. A few beeps later and a slight pressure and the device had successfully extracted the implant. I was shocked, our technology couldn't painlessly remove these things and yet this device, almost the same as our own, had been modified and improved in just a few days to do it with hardly any discomfort. Once the device was out and in my hands a little opening appeared in the wall, I understood the meaning of this and placed the implant into the crevice, hoping that this would change things for the better.

I anxiously waited for something to happen, I figured it would take a little bit of time at least and had eaten breakfast and then after awhile lunch. No beeps from the PDA, no questions, just silence. I tried to move things around in the room but nothing was responding. It seemed as if the entity was completely absorbed in the study of the implant I gave it and it wasn't until nearly the time I felt would be dinner that it finally chirped at me and drew my attention to a new opening in the wall. Inside the opening was an implant chip, it looked almost exactly like the previous one, however I noticed it had a few new materials in it, minerals I had never seen before. I knew it had modified the implant, but I didn't know what it would do. Despite the hospitality I had been given thus far I was still apprehensive to put this modified device in my head. It took a lot for me to do it the first time, but this time I knew it was going to be different. Reluctantly I picked up the implant inserter and put it to my head, I took a deep breath and held it as I pulled the trigger.

I'm not sure how long I had been lying on the floor. I must have blacked out when the device was inserted because I didn't remember lying down. The implant inserter was gone, taken away again I assume so I wouldn't remove the device I had just put in my head. I felt different, I knew something was changed with this new device and I wasn't quite sure what it was. I sat on the floor for a bit, my eyes closed as I tried to figure out what this new sensation was. After a few moments I realized what it was, there was text barely visible everywhere I looked. I opened my eyes and looked around, by looking at objects and then allowing my focus to relax a bit I could see labels attached to things and other information about what the particular settings were for the pieces of furniture and rooms. I realized I was seeing things with labels that a computer would keep for knowing where things were supposed to be and what they were supposed to look like. I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do, so I spent the next hour or so learning how to handle having the additional information in my vision. After a bit of practice I learned that I could make the text become more apparent or disappear entirely with my desire for it to do so. If it weren't for the sudden growling of my stomach I would not have realized it was well past the normal time to eat, so I reached for my PDA to get some dinner on the table, but it wasn't there. I looked around, thinking I must have dropped it on the floor when I blacked out, but it was nowhere to be found. Slightly panicked I continued my frantic search until I heard a little chirp. I looked in the direction I thought I heard it come from but there was nothing there. Another chirp made me realize that it wasn't actually coming from something external, but it was a sound being played directly into my head. The implant had been modified to not only give me some additional functionality but it had also been changed to replace my PDA. I closed my eyes and focused on the chirp, an image appeared to me seeming to ask if everything was good or not. I thought it was good, but different, to my surprise an appropriate expression appeared from my thoughts, one that signified that things were good but that I was having to adjust to these changes. I opened my eyes again and focused my vision and my thoughts on the table. I recalled how the table brought forth food and thought of the things that I would like it to show me now. To my delight the table did as I desired, controlled by my thoughts to bring forth my dinner. If it hadn't been for another growl from my stomach I'm sure I would have forgotten to eat the food because I suddenly realized that I had much greater control of the things around me, I could use the thoughts and visions in my head to do what I wanted to with this room. After eating the meal I decided it would be best to get some sleep before exercising much more of my new found ability, it was draining and I needed to have a clear head before I messed with anything major. I lied down on my bed and decided to make some notes about the day, this time using a mental notepad instead of the PDA.

1 comment: